Johnsonville SC History

Browse Items (152 total)

  • Poole's - Broadway.jpg
  • Old Poston post office.jpg
  • Poston SC depot station, May 8 1956.jpg
  • Prospect School before consolidating with the Johnsonville School.jpg

    The Prospect School before consolidating with the Johnsonville School system.
  • Prospect School - Community Center.jpg
  • Ritz Theater - Broadway - owned by Chevis Prosser.jpg

    The Johnsonville Theatre was owned by Chevis Prosser and located on Broadway. It ceased operations around 1964 and burned in May of 1977. The burnt building was torn down on May 12, 1977.
  • Prosser's Dept Store - Broadway.jpg
  • Prossers Dept Store 1973.jpg
  • Carolinacolony.png
  • Radio Shack.jpg
  • Radio Shack Johnsonville Hardware 1983.jpg
  • Railroad crossing downtown.jpg

    View of the old railroad crossing lights from Broadway looking West toward Railroad Avenue. Prosser's Department Store is visible.
  • 11174234_10101472424232044_3628880919553014699_o.jpg

    Photo displayed at the Centennial celebration of Rehobeth Church in 2009. A few of those pictured are Cortez, Merlyn, Gail, and Pam Cox, Ronald Cox, Cletus Cox, Sherrell Cox, and Vaughn Eaddy.
  • 242943503_1570115093332792_5038910038962908729_n.jpg

    Saint Luke Colored School served black students near Kingsburg during segregation. The school was closely associated with and located near Saint Luke A.M.E. Church at 539 Chinaberry Road, Johnsonville.
  • 254873828_635700367441192_3883246127730050735_n.jpg

    Saint Mark Colored School served black students in the Kingstree area during segregation. The school was located near the current location of Saint Mark A.M.E. Church at 1532 Kingsburg Highway.
  • 513450214.740641.jpg
  • Wellman Sheep Research Project circa 1956.jpg

    Wellman spent time circa 1956 researching sheep that might be better acclimated to South Carolina's weather. C. H. Mudge acted as herdsman for the project. The sheep pasture was across Highway 41 from the Wellman Texaco Station.
  • E.G. Beckman letter of organization.jpg
  • Stone's Oil.jpg
  • Supreme Chic N' Burgers.jpg

    The present business was opened by businessmen Billy King and John Taylor as “The Chick Supreme.” Macky DeCamps owns the building. The business is now run by sisters Carolyn Palumbo, Lavonia Olsen and Dixie Evans.
  • The Bargan House Hwy 41.jpg

    The Bargain House was located on Highway 41 near the intersection with Broadway.
    In the 1960s this building was home to Tri City Distributors, run by Arris Powell and George Todd. It was situated between the Cottage Lunch and Gulf Station (right) and the Red and White grocery store run by Abe Lyerly to the left. To the left of the Red and White was a furniture store run by George Williams and to the left of that was a Barber Shop run by Price Hughes and later by Osborne Cribb and his family. Later a parts place was built and run by a Mr. Baxley
  • The Big Store, Ard's Crossroads.jpg

    The store was a partnership of Julian David Brown and Huggins Bros. Lumber Co. Julian ran the store. His father, Walter Brown, worked in the store while he was teaching. There were gas pumps (not in use) under the shed in the 1950s.
  • Chic 1973.jpg

    The present business was opened by businessmen Billy King and John Taylor as “The Chick Supreme.” Macky DeCamps owns the building. The business is now run by sisters Carolyn Palumbo, Lavonia Olsen and Dixie Evans.
  • Cottage Lunch and Gulf Station.jpg

    The station was run by Eunice and Herman Lentz and was located at Highway 41 and Possum Fork Road.
  • Johnsonville Colored School - Stuckey School - built 1924.jpg

    The Johnsonville Colored School served black students through 8th grade. It was located on Stuckey Street near the location of the current Johnsonville Middle School's tennis courts. A report stated that in the 1924 school year, 4 teachers were employed.
  • Johnsonville Drug Company 1920, druggist Ashby McElveen.jpg

    This photo was taken in front of the Johnsonville Drug Company, circa 1920. The man pictured is Ashby McElveen, a druggist at the pharmacy - the girl is currently unknown. He was from Lake City. Ashby purchased a Drug Store in Sumter, SC in 1923 and remained there the rest of his life. His brother Robbie McElveen worked for the Farmers and Merchant Bank in Johnsonville and married a local girl named Cornelia Cockfield. They moved to Lake City after marrying in the early 1920's. This photo was provided by Ashby's grandson, Wilson McElveen. You can make out some of the old buildings on Broadway in the background.
  • Old House Hanna farm.jpg

    Homestead built by Thomas Franklin Hanna (1881-1938) & Nekoda Laharp Altman (1882-1941). Thomas was the son of Franklin Evander "Vander" Hanna and Julia Ann Grier. Nekoda was the daughter of Daniel Webster Altman and Margaret Elizabeth "Maggie" Stone. This homestead was on a farm which was part of an original land grant to Hugh Hanna, great grandfather of Thomas Hanna and the first Hanna to settle in the Johnsonville area. The Hannas eventually built a new 2-story home across the field to handle their growing family.
    Thomas carved his and Nekoda's initials into at least one of the timbers under the house to mark the original home. There was also a family rumor that some of the bricks used as the foundation for the house were used as ballast for ships arriving in America. Thomas and Nekoda's second son, Arles Timmons Hanna and his wife Violet Carter Hanna later occupied the home. Violet was the daughter of Morgan Ham Carter and Octavia Elizabeth Stone from the Vox Community. Arles and Violet married in 1927. Their 3 children, Evander Franklin, Yvonner Leta "Vonnie," and Jimmy Earl each grew up on the farm. Arles and Violet built a new home closer to the Vox Highway around 1950. Violet died in 1984, Arles in 1986.
    Because the old home was vacant after Arles and Violet moved, Vonnie and Joe Dukes moved in when they were first married in 1954. Even as late as 1956, the house did not have an indoor bathroom and the family had to brave the weather when using the old outhouse on property. They jokingly referred to how easy it was to see chickens walking around under the house because the gaps in the floorboards were so wide before they moved to a newly built home in 1962.
    The site around the old house was a popular spot for family activities. Vander, Vonnie, and Jimmy's children and grandchildren often camped out and shot fireworks on the property for Thanksgiving and New Year through the 1980s and 1990s.
    The Old House remained vacant and deteriorated over the years until it was bulldozed and burnt in the early 1990s to make way for a new home on the property.
  • Thom Thumb Wedding Muddy Creek School 1954.jpg
  • Old Trinity School Kingsburg.jpg
  • Trinity School Kingsburg.jpg

    Trinity School in disrepair after it consolidated with Johnsonville
  • Trinity School Kingsburg in prime.jpg
  • Turner's IGA new location.jpg

    Turner's IGA, originally located beside Venters Department Store on Broadway, moved to a new updated location across the street in what later became Nettles IGA.
  • Turners IGA - Broadway.jpg
  • Union High School Georgetown County.jpg

    Union High School, Graded School, and Teacher's Boarding Home.
    Union School was located in Georgetown County at the intersection of Henry Road (512) and County Line Road (513).
  •  Aireal photo Ards Crossroads.jpg

    Venters Community at Ards Crossroads, site of Huggins Brothers Lumber Company. Note the Old Johnsonville Cemetery , upper left corner of photo. Old Johnsonville School was located on this property, next to Old Johnsonville United Methodist Church.
  • Venters Dept Store - Broadway.jpg
  • Vox Crossroads google street view 2008.jpg

    Various images from Vox Crossroads:
    Vox Crossroads - Google Street View 2008
    Mike, Ken, and Ronnie Powell circa 1949
    Vox Grocery - run by Ted and Norma Hanna circa 2000
    Ken Powell circa 1949
    Vox Grocery - Ted Hanna circa 2000
    Bill Burris leaving Altman's Grocery - late 1970s
  • Vox Post Office roadside view.jpg

    The Vox Post office was run by postmaster John James Altman, Sr. (1846-1905). "Pa John," as he was known by his family, is credited with giving the name Vox, which is Latin for "voice of the people."
  • Vox Post Office.jpg

    The Vox Post office was run by postmaster John James Altman, Sr. (1846-1905). "Pa John" as he was known by his family is credited with giving the name Vox, which is Latin for "voice of the people."

    Pictured is John Altman, grandson of John James Altman Sr.
  • Vox School.jpg
  • Vox School.jpg
  • Vox School Lunchroom.jpg
  • Areal view Wellman - 1973.jpg
  • Wellman Club Putting Green.jpg
  • Wellman Combing Company.jpg
  • 17504927_10102020488706444_2296914446224629221_o.jpg

    Photo shows the main building at Wellman Industries, no specific date or source listed.
  • Wellman Industries 1954.jpg
  • Westside FWB - 1968.jpg

    Founded in 1955, Westside's first preacher was Carroll Alexander. The church was founded as an offshoot of Little Bethel Free Will Baptist Church in Vox.
  • Westside FWB Church 1973.jpg

    Founded in 1955, Westside's first preacher was Carroll Alexander. The church was founded as an offshoot of Little Bethel Free Will Baptist Church in Vox.
  • Westside Grocery 1988.jpg
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2